Sunday, March 07, 2010

Making the trip out

We recently made the long trip out to Iowa. We decided to drive even though it was still in February. In my mind I was thinking that since it was the end of February that all the snow would be gone and it would be the beginning of spring. Not so much the case...we had pretty good weather through Logan Canyon, but then hit some foggy/snowy weather when we were coming into Bear Lake. Then it seemed to clear up and was pretty nice until we got to Little America, were we decided to stop for lunch for a couple of reasons, 1. I was feeling pretty sick; I guess I had forgotten how sick I get through canyons when I am not pregnant, 2. It was lunch time so we thought we would get some food, and 3. Mike needed to stop and have a conference call for work. So while I wrangled the kids at the restaurant in the gas station trying to feed them lunch, Mike was in the car for an hour on his work call. It was good timing that we were able to stop at Little America when Mike had his phone call, but I the kids after sitting all morning were not wanting to sit and eat their lunch. They were jumping on the booth seats, climbing on the tables, climbing under the tables, etc. I was so ready to get back in the car by the time Mike got done so I could lock them into their seats. The rest of the day went pretty good, the weather was pretty good, until of course it got dark and we hit the Laramie, WY pass. We hit a wall of fog and had to slow down to like 30 mph. We finally got to our hotel in Sidney,NE around 9pm. The last 2 hours of the drive were rough because our kids are use to going to bed at 7pm and don't sleep in the car, so that meant they just whinnied, fought, cried for the last 2 hours, of course while we were driving through the wet, slick roads. Once we got to the hotel, the kids hit the bed and slept straight through the night...it was wonderful. We woke up to 6 inches of snow, but the interstate seemed to be cleared for the most part. Then we just had rain/snow mix until Kearney,NE. Needless to say I was wrong...it was not spring for the drive out. With all of the weather it ended up taking us 15 hours to drive out spread over two days. We finally arrived at my dad's house Saturday afternoon around 4:30. I don't know who was more excited to be there, the kids or mom and dad!

No comments: